Monday, September 24, 2012

Tree roots in garden


Large redwood trees send extensive root mats into my garden

Rather than fighting these roots, or trying to set up barriers blocking them, I'm trying to use them to add organic matter every year into the garden.  I dig a trench between the tree and garden, cut the roots and refill the trench with dirt.  Will add a drip line to then lead the roots back into the garden, so that I'll know where to cut them again next year.  This could add a great deal of organic matter to the garden each year. Only unknown is how far down I'll need to dig a trench to be sure all the roots are cut.

If anyone knows an easy way to cut tree roots about 3' deep, please post.



6 comments:

  1. I'm dizzy from all the camera swinging around. :) But I like your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very nice blog. Its very unique blog. I am really appreciate of this website and blog. Thanks for sharing this types of blogs. So then good and keep it up sir. Heavy Weight Tarpaulins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your storytelling abilities transport me to different worlds. I can't get enough of the escapism your writing provides! You have a gift for breaking down complex subjects into manageable chunks. I feel more knowledgeable after every read. large tarpaulin sheets

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was an interesting perspective on the issue. I hadn't thought about it that way before but you make a good point. There are definitely multiple sides to consider.
    tarpaulin sheet

    ReplyDelete